Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New Weekly Post! Wellness Wednesday! - Dairy Baby

Ive decided that based on the sucess of Sephora-Lunch Thursday's that weekly themes are AWESOME. So in rolls Wellness Wednesday where I will feature blogs, websites, and people that are making a difference in wellness and have a connection to the curvy world.


My dear friend and roommate Valerie has started a website for all of you lactards out there! (Lactard = lactose intolerant) Are you lactose intolerant? Vegan? Just looking for milk substitutes because you're afraid of cows? If so Dairy Baby is for you! Val was kind enough to answer some of our questions:

CD: What is Dairy Baby?
DB: Dairy baby is a fun and informative website designed help make life a little easier for people living dairy-free. I’ve been dairy-free for about 6 years now, so I’ve amassed quite a bit of knowledge on the subject. The site is full of recipes, product reviews & recommendations, cookbook reviews and tips.


CD: How has going dairy free changed your life?
DB: How much time do you have? :)
Almost immediately after giving it up, I lost a little bit of weight, but had a dramatically smaller stomach. I didn’t realize that I was just constantly bloated before. My stomach felt better – no more pain and cramping, and (not to be gross) I wasn’t running to the bathroom almost immediately after eating.
I felt better in general, which is kind of difficult to describe. I had more energy, felt less sluggish, less heavy. I noticed a huge change in my mood. I had a bit of a volatile temper that just calmed when my body stopped feeling so bad. It was easier to get out of bed in the morning, and I was able to shake this constant depressed feeling I had.
It was truly life changing.


CD: Do you have to vegan to benefit from your site?
DB: Not at all! I am totally an omnivore / flexitarian (if you want to get fancy). My recipes are all over the place. Some are vegetarian, some are vegan, and some are straight up carnivorous! I am definitely a fan of vegan cooking and vegan restaurants, though. They are guaranteed to be dairy-free, so I don’t need to worry.
I truly believe every body is different. Certain ways of eating work for some and not others. I try to be as objective as possible on my site, and not push any particular food philosophy.


CD: What is your Favorite Dairy substitute?
DB: That’s a really broad question! Do I have to pick one?!
I use nutritional yeast a lot to add that tangy, salty cheesiness to dishes. It’s really versatile, and actually has some health benefits.
Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread is probably my most-used substitute. I don’t think I’d be able to bake without it!
If we’re talking indulgent stuff, Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (the non-hydrogenated version) is my favorite. I only buy it occasionally, but I actually feel like I’m eating rich cream cheese when I have it.


CD: Do you offer private health coaching?
DB: I do! I’m a certified health coach, and no, I don’t make all my clients give up dairy! Like I said, every body is different. If it works for you, there is no need to eliminate it.
Your readers are welcome to a free initial phone consultation with me. Contact me here !

No comments:

Post a Comment