Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hope for Downward Dog!

I love Yoga. It s a workout that allows you to really breathe (which the Opera Singer in me adores) but still works you out and does wonders for your body. BUT when the Downward Dog pose comes up in rotation I want to scream! Not because I cant touch my toes, because I can and then some, but because my breasts try to suffocate me and my hands go numb holding the pose. I don't want to be the "loser" in class who just drops out until the next pose comes along but my body just doesn't want to be a dog, sorry.

I came across an awesome blog today that may give all of us curvy yoga lovers hope! Curvy Yoga is a safe haven for curvy yogis everywhere. Anna Guest-Jelley, the founder, gives all kinds of ideas on how to modify poses for a curvy frame while still maintaining the benefits of the practice. And if you're in Nashville she teaches classes as well. Check out her Downward Dog modifications here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! I'm so glad you found the post helpful. I, too, often feel suffocated in poses by my breasts. I wanted to pass along this post which has some suggestions for that issue: http://www.curvyyoga.com/uncategorized/curvy-bridge-pose/

    Glad to be connected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna! I mean I love "the girls" don't get me wrong but some poses...

    ReplyDelete